Some provinces have rules for out-of-province commercial motor carriers. See below for more information.


For Alberta, US based Operators must call Government of Alberta Transportation Department.  1-800-662-7138.  Ask for Bus and Baggage Licensing Permit. Operators will provide a Motor Vehicle ID #.

British Columbia

The following website explains how to obtain an Extra-Provincial Originating Outside B.C. Temporary Operating Permit:


No permit is required in Manitoba as long as the Bus Operator is registered with IRP and IFTA. If not, call 1-877-812-0009.

Newfoundland and Labrador

No permits required

Nova Scotia

No permits required

New Brunswick

No permits required

Northwest Territories

No permits required


No permits required


In Ontario, U.S. Operators must register to obtain a Commercial Vehicle Operating Registration (CVOR): find out how to register here at U.S. Carriers’ CMVs Operating in Ontario (07/2017) | FMCSA (


No permits required


To operate a bus in the province of Quebec, operators must register with the Government of Quebec: Registration in the register of owners and operators of heavy vehicles – SAAQ (


Operators can use this site to obtain a permit:

Yukon Territory

Bus operators travelling to the Yukon buy a permit at the weigh scale office in Watson Lake Or in Whitehorse.